Thursday, August 9, 2012

All Quiet on the Home Front

The Kenya Diaries (vol. 24)

July 15, 2006

Andy left this morning with Fr. Johannes to go to his native village in Nyanza Province, the interior of Kenya. He will be gone until Tuesday. The boys left for a four day break on July 13th, so it is very quiet here at the school.

I decided to stay home today rather than take our usual  Saturday trip into Nakuru. I didn't want to manage it without Andy. So we did the laundry, then walked into town to return a Star Wars video that we rented a few days ago. I bought the kids Cokes and candy bars for a treat. We got some groceries and headed home.

This afternoon Joel came to the school during his short break, just as he said he would, to bring Ania a birthday present. It was actually a bag full of gifts -- a stuffed giraffe, a red shirt, a hand towel, two oranges, some snacks, a hippo bank and a very nice birthday card. Ania was tickled pink!

We watched Pink Panther cartoons for the rest of the afternoon, then had bread sticks, bow ties with Ragu, fresh pineapple and cookies for supper. We all took a bath in a bucket, said our prayers and went to bed.

Thank you, Jesus, for a good day, and please bless Andy -- wherever he is! Amina.



July 16, 2006

Today was a lazy Sunday. We spent the day on the brothers' side of the seminary picking tropical flowers and watching their flock of various geese, turkeys, chickens and ducks. Fr. Crispin saw us and came out to help.



The kids brought back lots of feathers, which I washed in bleach water before I let them in the house. They also brought back lots of seeds, and planted some in pots to see if they would grow. If we have success, it will be Fr. Ted's birthday present next month.

Peter the Cook shared with me about African traditions when I went to fetch water this evening. He explained to me that he cannot call me "Janet" because it is disrespectful in Kenya to call a married woman by her first name, even though I asked him to. We agreed that he should call me Mama Lucia from now on.

Fr. Mike came by just to check on me. I am so blessed!


 I think the hibiscus is the most amazing flower!



July 17, 2006

Last night Ania threw up in her bed. I moved Lucia over to Kevin's bed, stripped the girls' bed and put Ania back in it. Philip was already in my bed since Andy is still in Nyanza Province. We all have to stay under the mosquito nets! Anyway, Ania woke up this morning hungry and full of energy. I think it was the Mefloquine.

So I washed sheets today. I had to fetch the water from the school kitchen. I sent Kevin to fetch water also. We are out of water in the house, since Andy hasn't been here to stay on top of our water supply.

Then I set up our computer in the staff room, and Kevin taught Peter the Cook how to use it. They both did a great job!

The boys returned to school today, and once again the familiar sound of their voices fills the air. I'm glad they're back. It was getting quite lonely around here.



I made avocado salad today with the avocados that Fr. Crispin brought to us yesterday. It was so good! Brother Nicholas stopped by today to give me a message: I have just spoken with Fr. Johannes. They will begin their journey home tomorrow and will arrive here tomorrow evening. Your husband says "Hello, and I love you."  He smiled as he delivered this message. Somehow I think it made his day!

I have been carrying lots of buckets of water these past few days, and my shoulder is beginning to hurt. Now Lucia is washing the dishes, so I think I will go and help her.

Thank you, Jesus, for a good day. Amina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment