Saturday, October 27, 2012

Autumn Wildflower Bouquets

Flowers are usually synonymous with springtime, so I was a bit hesitant to do this art project with my class last week. It just didn't seem to fit in with the fall leaf art project that first grade had up on their bulletin board, or kindergarten's pumpkin patch. I mean, flowers in autumn....could I pull it off?

The whole idea began five years ago as a Mother's Day craft. I was looking for a way for my students to create something for their mothers with sentimental value...something like a bouquet of fingerprint flowers. I used a green marker to draw the stems, and a piece of wallpaper cut out of a sample book donated by a local paint store for the vase. The craft itself was a huge success, but another craft became the favorite for Mother's Day. I didn't need two.











Then the idea hit me to move this craft to fit in with our plant chapter in science. Every fall we study plants; trees, wildflowers, garden flowers and their seeds, and many of these wildflowers are in bloom during the fall months. Queen Anne's lace, aster, chicory, black-eyed Susan, goldenrod, and mums are just a few examples.










Again, the craft was a success, but I usually only displayed them in my classroom before sending them home. Flowers in autumn? Not so sure.










This year I decided to take a chance and display the artwork in the hallway, and by the overwhelmingly positive response, it was the right decision.

Good job, class!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment