Friday, February 17, 2012

My Point Man

Life can be such a balancing act sometimes. Between teaching school, keeping house, mothering my four children, spending quality time with my husband, participating in music outreach, and living out my Covenant agreements in Alleluia Community it takes a lot of effort and understanding, especially from my family. Oh, yes, then there is this new found interest in blogging. Where does it end?

I think the key to keeping a healthy balance can be found in a teaching I heard once from Jim Murphy, the president and founder of Vera Cruz Communications. He is also the man who, in 1992, walked 4200 miles across America carrying a 6 foot cross.

My Fourth Grade Class
I like the way Jim teaches. He gives visual images that I can latch on to. He describes people's lives as a pyramid. The base is well established as the basic needs of an individual such as food, clothing, and shelter. Then there is a second layer of education, career, or vocation. This may include marriage and children, or a religious calling. The pyramid builds as one takes on new responsibilities and gets higher and higher. Then Jesus is set on His throne, at the top, to oversee it all.

The problem with this model, Jim says, is that as soon as something comes along to challenge our faith, Jesus' throne, which we have balanced precariously at the top, is the first to fall off. We take charge of our situation, we lose our balance, and our lives fall apart, despite our best efforts to keep it together.

Jim suggests this approach.  Take your pyramid, and turn it upside down. Let Jesus be the point on which all else rests. Make Him your foundation. When storms come, and they will, the top layer may take some hits, but Jesus will remain, steady and strong, to hold us up. Our balancing act becomes His balancing act. The best part of all is that Jesus will succeed in holding us together, if we choose to build our lives on Him.

I choose you, Jesus, to be my point man, on Whom all my labors rest. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment