Thursday, March 29, 2012

Big, Fat, Juicy Adjectives

Here's a fun way to teach your students about adjectives. Start with a simple sentence such as:

My big pig happily ate my juicy burrito.

Next spend some time identifying the adjectives. Since pig and burrito are nouns, the words that describe these nouns are adjectives.

Then the fun begins. Go around the room and let each student add an adjective to the sentence, which gets funnier and funnier as you go. 

1.  My big, fat pig happily ate my juicy, disgusting burrito.

2.  My big, fat, purple pig happily ate my juicy, disgusting, slimy burrito.

3.  My big, fat, purple, hairy pig happily ate my juicy, disgusting, slimy, green burrito.

4.  My big, fat, purple, hairy, good-for-nothing pig happily ate my juicy, disgusting, slimy, green, rotten burrito.

5.  My big, fat, purple, hairy, good-for-nothing, million-ton pig happily ate my juicy, disgusting, slimy, green, rotten, tasty burrito. (Yum!)

After the class has a good laugh, ask them to draw a picture of the final sentence. Here is a sample of what my class turned in after doing this activity a few weeks ago. (note: the pig at the top of this page is also student drawn).

Prim and Proper Pig
Bacon Strip Pig




Very Hairy Pig
Balloon Pig & Burrito Log





No comments:

Post a Comment