Friday, March 30, 2012

Seven Quick Takes (vol. 4)

Spring Has Sprung!

I have been noticing lately that Spring has definitely sprung in America's deep south. Here are seven sure signs that winter is over for me.

1.  Master's Week is once again upon us. I've heard this is an absolutely beautiful course, held at the peak of azalea season the first week of April. Annual employees have their new uniforms and have attended their orientation. I know this because I will be working as a cashier at a concession stand during the week. Alleluia Community School always takes Easter vacation during Holy Week, which is not usually "Master's Week." This year they are one and the same, so I am taking advantage of this anomaly and working it.

2.  Andy has prepared and planted our three square foot gardens, and they are doing well. He did some research two years ago on "Square Foot Gardening" and decided to put his hand to the till. We have produced a variety of beautiful vegetables over the past two years using this method. This year we are focusing on a variety of tomatoes, lettuces, and Swiss chard.

3.  My amaryllis has bloomed for the first time in 10 years. This is the same plant I had in my flower garden two houses ago. I dug up the bulbs and brought them to our rural home, but they never bloomed for me during the three years we lived there. I dug them up again when we moved to our current home and replanted them, hoping they would bloom at our new home. We have lived at our current address for 6 years, and they have never bloomed until this year. I am puzzled, but very pleased.


4.  I looked outside my classroom window during lunch time today, and saw the high school girls enjoying their lunches in the courtyard. What a gorgeous day it is!



5. When the evenings get warmer, and daylight lasts longer, our neighborhood becomes more and more worthy of defending against the evil forces of the universe. Here is a scene straight out of Davy Crockett and the battle of the Alamo, twenty-first century style.

6. I have a skeleton in my classroom closet that comes out every spring, when we begin our unit on health. We aren't quite there yet, but I brought Mr. Bones out yesterday anyway, and my students have been having a blast with him. Mr. Bones is a sure sign that the school year is nearing its end.















7.  And lastly I leave you with thoughts turned toward Easter. I know it is not quite here yet, but the excitement of its promise is in the air. Easter is a sign of new birth, of seeds that were once dead, now bursting forth into new life. It is a time to turn our hearts toward Jesus, the Christ, who defeated death by rising from the dead, so that we might all share in His glorious resurrection. Easter is the ultimate celebration that spring has truly sprung! Amen! Alleluia! Glory!

Join the fun and add your own Seven Quick Takes.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ah, yes, absolutely! Thank you, Uncle Pete. Grandma will be 90 years young on April 12, a perfect example of a new springtime, and of a dear, sweet lady! God bless her!

      Delete