Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Birds of a Feather

One of the great benefits our family received from moving to a rural setting when our children were young, was that they learned how to relate to children of all ages, and they learned how to be each other's best friends. This was due to the fact that there just weren't many children who lived around us.

That is a skill that they have carried over to their current suburban lifestyle, but I am still "cut to the quick" when I am blessed to see it in action.

We were out in the yard weeding the flowerbeds on Sunday, when I overheard a conversation between my sixth grader, Philip, and the neighbor boy who is in first grade.

Let me back up a little and set the stage. Philip LOVES weapons. He has Nerf swords, maces and hatchets. He has a bow and arrow, Airsoft rifles and can crack a bullwhip. He is a real man's man. The neighbor boy, Noah, LOVES weapons, too, and sees Philip as the authority in this area

Noah LOVES Philip. Philip is like a big brother to him. Philip LOVES Noah. Noah is like a little brother to him.

So there we were, working in the yard, with Philip and Noah deep in conversation about weaponry and battles. Noah asking the questions, and Philip supplying the answers. It was all rather a blur to me. Then I heard a question that piqued my interest.

Noah: "Philip, what are those kinds of birds that can talk?"

Philip: "Do you mean a parrot?"

Noah:  "No, they are smaller...oh, I know, a parakeet! That's what I want, a parakeet!"

Philip:  "Why do you want a parakeet?"

Noah: "So I could teach it to talk. Do you know what I would teach it to say?"

I was expecting to hear something predictable, something like, "en garde" or "put up your dukes" or some such battle cry. Instead, I heard something that melted my heart.

Noah: "Philip! I would teach it to say PHILIP!"

Every so often, God gives us an unexpected glimpse into the fruit of our lives. And when the fruit is this good, this sweet, this beautiful, it is worth more than gold!


  

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet. Those two boys are two peas in a pod!

    ReplyDelete