Sunday, April 15, 2012

Don't Settle for Auto Pilot


Back in 2006 I remember reaching a point in my marriage where I was on auto pilot. Yes, I loved Andy with all my heart, but my decade of child bearing had depleted my "in-love" feelings toward my husband. My life consisted of young children, toddlers and babies who needed me, and as far as I was concerned, Andy was an adult who could fend for himself.

I even remember being in a small group setting one time, when the topic of death came up. "If any of my children died, God forbid, I don't know what I'd do," I remember saying, "but if Andy died, well, I guess I'd do the right thing and go to his funeral."

That's when I realized I needed help. My marriage is the most important relationship in my life, and if I don't fight for it, who will? He deserved better than what I had become.

I began to cry out in earnest to God for His great mercy on me and my marriage. It's not that I would ever leave, that thought never entered my mind. It's just that I didn't want a mediocre marriage. I wanted a great marriage.

I began reading a book by Stormie Omartian called, The Power of a Praying Wife. Apparently she had gone through similar feelings at some point during her marriage. She too hit a point where she realized her husband deserved more than she had become.

Her prayer was, "God, give my husband a new wife, and let it be me." God honored her prayer and changed her heart.

Wow! That's what I wanted! That's what I needed!

So I began to pray the same prayer in all earnest. "God, give Andy a new wife, and let it be me."

I still remember the moment that God answered my prayer. We were walking out in the woods looking for different plants for a project that Kevin had at school. Andy reached up to pull a branch down when all of a sudden my heart fluttered, and I thought, "Wow, he's kind of cute!"

And I still think that to this day!

Today is Divine Mercy Sunday, a day set apart in the Catholic Church to beg God's forgiveness of sins for ourselves and those of the whole world. And although the graces are especially abundant today to seek forgiveness, we don't have to wait until this day to do it.

God is longing to pour out His Divine Mercy on all of our situations, especially the ones that may seem hopeless to us. He wants to heal our broken hearts and bring joy where there is sorrow. What is your heart cry? What can you bring to the throne of God with expectant faith?

Let God work a miracle in your life.


1 comment:

  1. That is beautiful. I hope one day I'll be as good a wife as you are to my brother. Love you!

    ReplyDelete