Saturday, April 14, 2012

Seven Quick Takes (vol. 5)

No One Can Serve Two Masters

Here are a few thoughts I have had concerning working at the Master's golf tournament during Holy Week.

1.  I have come under some scrutiny for this decision from a few well-meaning people, but mostly from myself. When I decided to apply for a position, I had to come to terms with how I was willing to spend my time during Holy Week, and whether I could give up my traditional Easter Triduum services. It was a tough decision, but in the end, I believed that I should go ahead and apply, and trust that God would either open the door, or keep it closed. I would gladly accept either outcome.

2.  It was a long wait, but when I finally got my letter declining my application, I was actually relieved. What was I thinking anyway? Holy Week is a time to reflect, to be with family, and a time to draw closer to the Lord. Besides, I could use the "down time" before our last few weeks of school. I thanked God for saying, "No, Janet, I want your undivided heart during Holy Week." I gladly laid it down.


3. Holy Week was fast approaching, and I was looking forward to a week of rejuvenation, when I received a phone call from The Augusta National two days before new-hire orientation, asking if I was still available to work. "What are You doing, Lord?" was my first question. "What do you think, Honey?" was my second. In the end, Andy and I both agreed that God was giving back to me what I had so joyfully laid down.

"We may toss the dice, but God determines every outcome." Proverbs 16:33.

4. I approached my work week as an ambassador for Christ. I believed that God wanted to touch people's lives through my words, my actions, and my attitudes. My spiritual food would not come from the church services this year, but rather from those that God led me to interact with, and from keeping my eyes on Him.

5. It was a long week, but it was a wonderful experience. Everyone from my supervisors, to my co-workers, from the golf patrons to my family was so supportive. I have never smiled so much in my life, and every smile that I received back was as if God were smiling at me.


6. My ultimate experience came on Easter Sunday. I had attended the Easter Vigil Mass the night before and had gotten very little sleep, so I was begging God for strength and mercy. I had watched Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ on Good Friday, and I was saddened over my part in Jesus' Passion, but at the same time I was filled with gratitude for what Jesus did for me. On Easter Sunday I began to look at every patron as the one that Jesus died for. I could see beyond their faces, and into their beautiful souls. I began to see Jesus in everyone, and everyone was beautiful!

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." Matthew 6:24.





7. As I contemplate Holy Week versus Masters' Week, I realize that they do not have to be opposed to each other. Jim Caviezel and I have something in common. He portrayed legendary golfer Bobby Jones in Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius, as well as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ. Both men and both movies have been on my mind this week, but I am very clear on where my loyalties lie. I served my Master by serving others at the Masters.

Go to Conversion Diary to add your own seven quick takes.

1 comment:

  1. What a take (or as it turns out, seven quick takes) on the week. Thanks Honey.

    ReplyDelete