Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

Today is Good Friday, the day that commemorates the biggest drama ever played out in human history. It is the day that Jesus Christ, Son of God, perfect in every way, willingly, lovingly, and heroically embraced His cross in atonement for the sins of humanity. It is the day that He restored our relationship with God, and opened the gates of heaven for us, so that every man, woman and child might enjoy everlasting life.

Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world, poured out His Precious Blood for all our sins.

1. Judas Iscariot, the betrayer - is me when I share a secret I have no right to share.

2.  The servant girl, the accuser - is me when I point my finger at another's faults.

3.  Peter, the denier - is me when I am afraid to stand up for my faith.

4.  Pilate, the condemner - is me when I pass judgement on a brother or sister.

5.  Simon of  Cyrene, the hostage - is me when I feel put upon by others who need my help.

6.  The bad thief, the mocker - is me when I am entertained by unrighteousness.

7.  The Roman soldiers, the unmerciful - is me when I have no patience for others.

Jesus has already paid the price. All we need to do is repent of our sins, and accept Him as our Lord. He will give us the Grace to choose Him daily. 

1.  Mary Magdalene, the repentant sinner - is me when I am quick to forgive and ask forgiveness.

2.  Veronica, the compassionate - is me when I take the time to share the love of God with others.

3.  John, the beloved - is me when I remain faithful in all things, big and small.

4.  Mary, Jesus' mother - is me when I point others away from myself and toward Jesus.

5.  The Centurion, the converted - is me when I proclaim Jesus' name for all to hear.

6.  Joseph of Arimathea, the disciple - is me when I extend hospitality to others.

7.  Peter, the repentant - is me when I don't let my own failures prevent me from living out God's Will for my life.

As I sit here and watch Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, I am moved to tears and remorse for my part in His torturous Passion. Yes, Jesus would have gone to the cross even if it had only been me. And for that, I am forever grateful.





3 comments: