Saturday, July 21, 2012

If You Give a Teacher a Summer Vacation...

Seven Quick Takes (vol. 15)

How does it always happen? I leave the school year behind with plans to NOT plan out my summer. I have to start out this way, because I know that it is just a matter of time before my "no plans" approach turns into a wild roller coaster ride. I'm not complaining, mind you. It is all good. Let me try to explain in this brief window of respite I have found.

1. Common Core - the new standards for Georgia educators. Attending the three day math conference July 10 -12, was very worth my while, and I feel quite confident that my students will come away from fourth grade with a much better grasp on the process that will lead them to the right answer.

2. Charism School - the three days immediately following the math conference took me through last weekend. Damian Stayne is an anointed speaker on the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and his Charism School is a hands-on approach to learning how to use these gifts, with an emphasis on the need to deepen your prayer life. My teenagers were especially held captive by his personal testimonies and charismatic personality. What a blessing to attend such a life-changing conference!

3. New Family - came to visit Alleluia Community the day after Damian Stayne left. This delightful family pulled up on Monday afternoon, their Suburban packed to the hilt with their seven children and a week's worth of belongings. Our family was asked to host them, which we were so happy to do. Needless to say, their children and our children have hit it off very well, and it has been a high octane kind of week!

4. Unexpected Trip - out of town on Wednesday to get a trailer load of things from Grandma's house. We are attempting to raise money for World Youth Day 2013, with various types of fundraisers. One was a yard sale this weekend, and people have been so generous donating items for our cause.

5. Unexpected Phone Call - from Andy's sister who's friend has a consignment store that was going out of business. We would be welcome to whatever we would like to put in our yard sale. We just needed to be there Friday afternoon with a truck to pick it up. Wow! We just more than doubled the size of our yard sale!

6. Yard Sale - of enormous proportions was held TODAY! We had a very successful day, and God blessed us with clouds, but no rain, which kept things cool. The new family that is visiting pitched right in and assisted with our fundraiser. It was an all day event, ending with dinner at the local Mexican restaurant. My feet are killing me, and I am ready to fall into bed.

7. Missionaries of Charity (MC's) - will be receiving Ania and I tomorrow in Atlanta to assist with a summer bible camp for five days. (The rest of the family will be staying home). I am looking forward to working with these holy women again. I have served the MC's many times in the past, and I am always blessed by their holiness.

Lord, help me get the laundry done tonight and the grocery shopping done tomorrow so that everyone will have a peaceful start to their week!



So, if you give a teacher a summer vacation, you can bet that they will be looking forward to slowing back down to normal speed on that first day of school.

Hope your summer is going at just the right speed! Now hop on over to Conversion Diary and add your own Seven Quick Takes.

1 comment:

  1. The flower in purple is the most beautiful in the garden!

    ReplyDelete