Thursday, July 5, 2012

Making the Most of Mundane

The Kenya Diaries (vol. 17)

July 3, 2006

This morning started out with a mound of dirty laundry, and ended with clean clothes hanging on the line. Whew! Ringing out clothes is hard work! I'm beginning to feel a pinch in my right shoulder.

Andy, Kevin and Ania went to Nakuru on a special mission...to get a video cable to that we can produce a slide show for the school, and to get candy for Ania's pinata. They'll be gone most of the day.

Philip, Lucia and I stayed home.

Lucia asked if she could use the kids' camera to take some pictures.  Philip also got in on the action. We walked around the grounds snapping up pictures of the beautiful roses and tropical flowers.

Then about eight little boys showed up at the school to play with Philip and Lucia. The news is out...there are little white children staying at Sacred Heart! Fr. Johannes is fine with our children's friends coming over to play. It is very different from the usual 100 high school boys who can speak English. These little ones cannot.

In Kenya there are about 43 different tribes, each having its own native tongue. Children learn this language first, and therefore cannot even communicate between tribes. Swahili, Kenya's national language, is taught when a child begins their primary education around age five. It isn't until around ten years old that a child begins to learn English, which is the official language of Kenya.

That is why our children are such oddities, especially Lucia who is only three. They speak fluent English. Adults aren't used to speaking English to children, and are amazed.

After lunch our electricty was turned off. It was a scheduled "black out," but at the same time a torrential rain began to fall, so it seemed like the rain caused it. In either case, it is dark inside and out! Kelvin and Ben came over and read stories to Philip and Lucia.

When Andy and the older kids came home, their matatu came right up to the door to let them out, rather than the usual drop off point in Rongai, a half a mile away.

Andy had several e-mails to share with me. It seems that the house we are wanting to buy is now available to make an offer. Come Lord Jesus! Also, my cousin has informed me that the Southern Cross IS visible from our coordinates, so it is just a matter of locating it. AWESOME! Now I'll just have to wait for a clear night to look. No one here has even heard of the Southern Cross and cannot help me find it, but they did point out which way is south.

The electricity keeps going on and off as I try to write in my journal. The boys brought a kerosene lantern to our door, thank goodness, or it would be pitch dark, except for the kids' flashlights, which they are now playing with.

I have found a grasshopper, a beetle and two fleas in my bed tonight as I write. YUCK!  I missed getting the grasshopper, but he just reappeared! Got him! Excuse me while I let him out.

Fr. Ted will be here in two days. I cannot wait!!

Thank you, Jesus, for keeping us safe and sound in the heart of a strange but beautiful land. Amina!

No comments:

Post a Comment