Saturday, July 7, 2012

No Freaking Out Allowed

Seven Quick Takes (vol. 14)

Tuesday my sixteen year old son, Kevin, got his driver's license. Just before he took his road test, he asked me a question, or rather stated his request.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Kevin?"

"When I go out driving alone for the first time, will you please promise not to freak out?"

"Define 'freak out'."

"Show any type of nervousness."

Deep think in 3 seconds or less..."Yes, Kevin. I promise not to freak out."

Thursday afternoon came, and Kevin asked if he could go deliver his Eagle Scout invitation to his Aunt Amy across town, in rush hour traffic, near the mall.

Here was my chance to "make good" on my promise. Here was my chance to show Kevin that I am a woman of high adventure and of great trust in God. Here was my chance to show Kevin that I trust him as a good driver. Here was my chance...

Not even looking up from blogging..."Do you have a good pair of sunglasses?"

"Yes, I do."

"Then just be back in time for supper."

As soon as Kevin was out the door, I admit that I did the following:

1) Watched out the window until I saw him drive by.
2) Said a Divine Mercy Chaplet.
3) Said a flying novena to our Blessed Mother.
4) Repeated several dozen times, "Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in you."
5) Texted Andy and told him how successfully I DID NOT freak out.
6) Secretly hoped that he changed his mind and turned around.
7) Decided that I wasn't going to think about it again until he walked through the door.

Kevin returned in time for supper, invitation delivered. Thank you, Jesus.

Me? Freak out? By Kevin's definition, I kept my promise!

Have a blessed weekend, and add your own Seven Quick Takes here.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds right to me, love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took your potential freak-out to prayer. The best place to take it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pouring out your heart's cry to the Someone who can do something about it....just makes so much sense!

      Delete
  3. Correction: you did look up from blogging and i could see the worry in your eyes but i chose not to say anything about it.
    love you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been had! Betrayed by my eyes! So sorry, Kevin! Love you, too:)

      Delete