Friday, January 20, 2012

Genuine Gems

I am not a big jewelry person, so when I leaned over the counter in a jewelry shop one day last fall, eyeing the "mother's rings," my husband was quite surprised. We looked at several designs before leaving the shop empty-handed.

That was the last time I even gave this idea a second thought, although I secretly hoped my husband took my hint seriously.

What attracts me to these matronly rings? Maybe it is the fact that each birthstone represents a brand new soul whose very existence began as a miracle within me.  Maybe it is the fact that each birthstone represents the greatest treasures entrusted to me and my husband while on this earth.  Maybe it is the fact that each birthstone represents a priceless, precious child by whom I am proud to be called "Mama." Genuine gems to represent genuine gems.

You can imagine my surprise on Christmas morning, when I unwrapped my most favorite gift of all.


(In memory of all those who have suffered on this eve of the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade).

No comments:

Post a Comment