Thursday, June 14, 2012

Settling In

The Kenya Diaries (vol. 2)

June 14, 2006

This morning Daddy made scrambled eggs for the family. After chemistry class we went for a walk to the soccer field that lies beyond the banana trees. What breathtaking scenery! There were acacia trees and thorn bushes to beat all thorn bushes. These trees are elephant delicacies! The thorns were longer than our fingers, which gave new meaning to "The Crown of Thorns" that Jesus wore for the sake of our souls.


We saw weaver birds and their nests. We saw the "Captain Hook" banana blossoms. We saw an endless blue sky dotted with puffy white clouds, with mountains in the distance. Everything is so vast here. I feel so tiny and insignificant, yet I know that God made all this wonderful beauty for me and for others to enjoy.




Philip loves the soccer field!







Kevin found a mouse in an oil pan, and brought it home, dripping with motor oil. We let him clean it off, then sent him back to where he found it to let it go. His name is "Oily."  The boys brought the kids a grasshopper whose name became "Grassy."



I made spaghetti for supper, and the kids LOVED it! Quite a change from our mundane rhythm of beans and rice or potatoes and peas that we've fallen into. Now it is time for bed.

The students are watching the World Cup on the other side of our kitchen wall. The roar is deafening when they cheer their team. I would have thought cinder blocks would be more sound proof.


At night I hear crickets and frogs outside my window. I also hear a loud sound that may be a bird or a baboon. I'm not up on my night noises yet. There is a tree near our window that is a favorite of all the local crows. I know because they congregate there every night and discuss all their news.

Andy is reading to the kids while they sit under their mosquito nets, snug in their beds. Lucia is not interested, so I let her sit in my bed and color in her coloring books. I must go now and help her brush her teeth. We have to boil and filter all our drinking water, which means we must rinse our toothbrushes with bottled water -- somewhat of a trick for the younger ones.

Six year old Philip shared this about the drinking water situation in his journal: Kenya is so different from America. I have to brush my teeth with bottled water and I can't sing in the shower because I have to keep my mouth closed because Daddy said I'll get real bad diarrhea if I don't.

Tomorrow I must trim the boys' hair. All I have with me is a fingernail scissors which will just have to do.

Thank you, Jesus, for blessing us this day, and for all your graces and mercy. Please continue to hold us in the palm of your hand. Amina.

2 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying this, Janet! Trimming hair with nail scissors -- that's a feat. Philip is focused on the important issues -- fend off diarrhea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it...necessity is the mother of invention. I have to applaud Philip. He succeeded in his quest!

      Delete