Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I Do

Weddings are one of my favorite things, and Robert and Johanna's was glorious! Everything was perfect from the last minute hand-beaded fix of the wedding gown, all the way to the gentle breeze on a picture perfect day.

Seventeen years ago Johanna was only twelve years old when she was a bridesmaid in my own wedding. She was too tall to be a junior bridesmaid, so she was upgraded to an older style dress and heels. I still remember her practicing in those heels so she wouldn't trip down the aisle.


When she asked me to be one of her bridesmaids, I tried to tell her I was too old, but she wouldn't hear of it. I'm glad she insisted, because standing next to my own thirteen year old daughter on the altar was just about the neatest experience. It isn't every day that a mother gets to be a bridesmaid with her daughter. Oh, what fun we had.

In fact our whole family was up on the altar. Andy was one of Robert's groomsmen, Lucia was one of Johanna's junior bridesmaids, while Kevin and Philip served at Mass. I must say that we were all proud and honored to be asked to participate in their special day.


Robert and Johanna's ceremony was beautiful! Our dear priest friend, Fr.Ted, celebrated Mass while on his annual visit home from Nairobi, Kenya. Fr. Ted is such a WONDERFUL witness to the love of Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit. He made the Sacrament of Marriage come alive for all present, as he reminded us all that we were about to witness the miracle of God taking two people and creating one.


God certainly was smiling down on Robert and Johanna as they exchanged their vows, because their "I do" to God's Will started long before this day.


So now, with Johanna off on her honeymoon, the house just isn't the same. When she moved in with us almost two years ago, I was just beginning my long road of breast cancer treatment. She was a God send for sure. She has been a wonderful younger sister to me, and an older sister to my children. Her room, which we cleaned out earlier this week, isn't the only empty space she has left behind.

But, as I witnessed the powerful Sacrament of Marriage only a few short days ago, I realized that it isn't just the bride and groom who said, "I do."

"I do" stand by you as you begin this journey of married life.
"I do" commit to praying for you and your new family.
"I do" promise to let God fill your empty room with the next person He sends our way.
"I do" let you have your way with me, dear God, so that others may learn of your love.
"I do"...

1 comment: