Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reminiscing Rongai

The Kenya Diaries (vol. 1)

June 12, 2006

Lucia was coughing pretty hard last night, so she ended up coming to bed with me, and Andy slept with Ania. Her cough worries me.  We have no antibiotics with us. Dear Jesus, please heal Lucia's cough. We will continue to give her the nasal decongestant, cough syrup and Claritin.

Today is Monday. It is wash day. Washing laundry by hand is hard work, and I had three days' worth to get clean. Ania rinsed and Kevin hung them on the clothesline. Philip and Lucia tried to help but made more work, so they had to be removed from the mix.

Andy taught chemistry class for the first time today, which is the whole reason why we came to Kenya in the first place. We left home on May 31st and have been treated to a wonderful time, but it is difficult to be a guest for so long. Andy finally feels useful. Thank you, Jesus, for giving him a vision, a goal and a mission.

When Andy finished his class we took a walk in the banana orchard. I just love that place. It is so exotic and bursting with all sorts of beautiful birds. The banana blossom is the most amazing flower. They reminded us of Captain Hook's pirate hat in the Peter Pan story that Andy is currently reading to the kids before bed each night.











Dinner was simple; whole boiled potatoes that I then fried in a little oil, just like Catherine Epusi made for us in Amagoro, and a pot of fresh peas, carrots and tomatoes with just a hint of spices that I brought with me from home. The kids gobbled it up, especially Lucia, who licked her plate clean.

When we were through with supper, Andy washed the dishes, Lucia rinsed, and Philip stacked them as high as he could in the dish rack. He was so proud of his "castle."

Afterward we got ready for bed, then watched a slide show of our first two weeks in Kenya. What a show it was with 800+ pictures! We have come so far and seen so much. Nairobi, Masai Mara, Amagoro,  Rongai -- tourist attractions, impoverished Africa, urban, rural, wilderness, sacred -- it is all so amazing!

I have been wondering if the kids feel the same sense of awe that Andy and I feel. They are so young. Can they  possibly comprehend the enormity of what they are experiencing, or do they wish they were back in the security and familiarity of home?

Then a picture of Fr. Zak and Bob G. came up on the screen, They were waving goodbye to us as they drove away, leaving us behind for the next eight weeks. Ania said, "I wish Uncle  Bob was still here." Kevin added, "Yeah, he's the one that's missing out."

What music to my ears! To think that Kevin feels like the person missing out is the one who has gone back home! Thank you Jesus! Please Lord, continue to bless my children with a good experience of Kenya. Help them to see this trip as the opportunity that it is. Lord, Andy and I have done what you asked. We brought our family here, against every fear and every obstacle. Now it is your Grace and Presence that is needed to teach them what you want them to learn.

And Lord Jesus, help me to be the person you made me to be. Help me to be your hands and your feet to all I meet. Give me wisdom, give me peace, give me joy, and give me a heart to love. Amina!


No comments:

Post a Comment